Monday, May 31, 2010

American Avocet-Camas County, Idaho

Saw my first American Avocet, at least since I've been trying to find and identify birds, a couple of days ago. It was at the Camas Prairie Centennial Marsh, in the central region of southern Idaho. I was actually there to see if the camas lilies were blooming yet, but there were very few just beginning to bloom. I guess I'll have to go back in a few weeks. Yay!

This Avocet is wearing its breeding plumage. They don't have the rusty red color in the winter or when they are not breeding. It's pretty cool the way they dress to impress! LOL

I don't know much about these long legged birds, but I think they are quite pretty. According to the "Birds of Idaho Field Guide", they sweep their bills back and forth to find insects in the mud in shallow water. They migrate to Mexico and they nest in southern Idaho. They are also one of the few long-legged shore birds in Idaho.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails