Friday, May 14, 2010

New visitor, Lazuli Bunting

This little beauty is a Lazuli Bunting. I'm not even sure just how to pronounce it, but it was another first time guest in my yard this spring. He was soon followed by several others and visited on a daily basis. I assume they were just passing through since I haven't seen them in the past couple of days now. I'm still so new to birding and this migration thing, that I don't know if we aren't offering the right food now or if they were just fueling up to finish their trip. Which ever the case, I hope they return at sometime in the future. Their coloring is so pretty and it's only the second bird with blue that's visited my yard, the other being the brewer's blackbird. Until next time...

2 comments:

Birding is Fun! said...

LAZ-ew-lee or lye Buntings are awesome! Most of them are migrating through, but we do get a nesting population in the foothills. Last year I had dozens of them here at Avimor.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, Robert! I was pronouncing it correctly. They are so pretty, I'm so sad to see them go. I had a FOY Black-headed Grosbeak in my yard yesterday. I love getting different birds, I just don't like that they don't all stay.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails